Facial peeling is an act consisting in applying a chemical substance (usually an acid) to the skin, in order to cause limited and controlled destruction of the epidermis or even the superficial layers of the dermis. The purpose of this destruction is to obtain regeneration of the destroyed layers and to stimulate the production of elastic fibers and collagen in the underlying layers, in order to densify the skin.
Peelings use plant or chemical substances which, depending on the power of their active product, their concentration or their duration of application, will destroy the superficial layer of the skin, i.e. all or part of the skin. epidermis and possibly as far as the superficial dermis, depending on the desired goal.
The main indications treated by medical face peeling are:
- Dilated pores
- Small acne scars
- Oily skin
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Brown spots and melasma
- Black and colored dark circles
- Loss of skin tone
There are several types of peels, including:
- Peelings with fruit acids (glycolic, lactic, mandelic, etc.) which improve the radiance of the skin.
- Peelings with so-called weak acids (lactic, salicylic) whose action stops at the level of the granular layer with an interesting but moderate effect of exfoliation.
- Resorcinol peels, such as Unna’s paste, the active ingredient of which is 50% resorcinol.
- Peelings au phénol (hydroxybenzène) et à l’huile de croton dont la concentration permet de faire un peeling léger, moyen ou profond, selon la zone à traiter, l’importance du défaut à corriger, la qualité de la peau et le but recherché. La toxicité du phénol, notamment cardiaque, hépatique et rénale, bien connu par votre praticien, nécessite un protocole d’application bien codifié.
How to prepare for your peeling session?
The purpose of the consultation is to assess the request, to specify the indication, to inform the patient of what can be treated and what will not be and to explain all the facts relating to this type of intervention. .
For medium or deep peels, preoperative skin preparation is important to optimize the result. Skin cleansing, fruit acid or vitamin acid creams, antibiotic coverage, are sometimes prescribed during the 2 or 3 weeks preceding the act to prepare your skin so that it arrives at the time of the act in the best conditions. local possible.